01 February 2011

127 hours

So, my Uncle just came back from the UK yesterday. He was talking about how his grueling 14hour flight went. But on the brighter side, he said he managed to catch some great movies. 14 hours on a plane, it's suffering, been there! And one of them which caught my attention was '127 Hours'. 

*Spoiler Alert. 

Once he told me about it, I went home and got straight onto the computer and started streaming the movie. Sadly, it couldn't stream in time for bed (1.30am already) so I was only 30minutes into the show. Plus, I couldn't bare the thought of watching him amputate his bare hand at 2 in the morning! Even through the first 30minutes, every sudden move of his left me jumping of my seat. 


127 Hours is a true story of mountain climber Aaron Ralston played by hunky James Franco's remarkable adventure to save himself after a fallen boulder crushes his right arm and left him trapped in an isolated canyon in Canyonlands National Park of Utah, back in year 2003. He resorts to desperate measures in order to survive the grueling days to come. 


Over the next five days, Aaron examines his life and survives the elements to finally discover he has the courage to extricate himself by any means necessary, which was to amputate his lower right arm with a dull knife in order to free himself. After freeing himself, he had to abseil a 65 foot wall single handedly and hiked over eight miles before he was finally rescued. 


The scene of him amputating his arm in the movie might be a little disturbing for some, I had to peek from in between my fingers while he was in the process of it, cause that was how gross it was. Wiki says that a couple of viewers required medical attention while one other suffered from a panic attack while at the screening of 127 Hours, wow. 

I thought it was a pretty great movie, director Danny Boyle brings a creative approach to telling this epic story. His use of interesting sound designs and creative camera angles helps keep the audience engage in what in many ways is a fairly simple yet, incredible story. James Franco did a great job as well portraying the fun-loving, intelligent, but somewhat reckless Aaron. 

Well, if you love shows like 'I Shouldn't Be Alive' on The Discovery Channel like me, I guess this show is for you then ;) 

*Release date in Malaysia is the 3rd March 2011. 

Nickynic

No comments: